Object Title

Sword

Sword

Date

1300-1399

Object Number

IX.13

Provenance

Formerly IX.2. Hewitt (1870) records that it was 'found by G. Vulliamy Esq. in constructing the coffe dam for the erection of the Houses of Parliment in 1838. It was taken from a natural bed of concrete eight or ten feet below the surface'. On loan to Museum of London 1914-1973 (Mus. London No. B306)

Physical Description

Small wheel pommel, short tang. Slender tapering quillons, of hexagonal section, slightly down-curved. Short two-edged blade, tapering evenly, and with a single shallow fuller for two thirds of its length. No visible marks, but the whole sword is covered with a shiny black patina.

Featured in

Hundred Years War

Dimensions

Dimensions: Overall length: 838 mm (33 in), Blade length: 695 mm (27 3/8 in) Weight: 745 g (1 lb 10 oz)

Bibliographic References

Museum of London Medieval Catalogue, London, HMSO, 1954, p41, fig. 5,1.

A.R. Dufty and A. Borg, European Swords and Daggers in the Tower of London, London, 1974, p. 15 and Pl. 4d.

F. Wilkinson, Those entrusted with arms..., London, Greenhill Books and Leeds, Royal Armouries, 2002, p. 13, fig. 1.7 (gen. view).

Dorling Kindersley, Weapon. A visual history of arms & armour, Dorling Kindersley Ltd, London, 2006, pp. 62-3 (col. illus., 5th from top on p. 63).

Notes

For Vulliamy, G., see Dictionary of National Biography. He was a contemporary and probably friend of Hewitt (both in RAI) so story almost certainly true.