Object Title

32 pr gun and sliding carriage - Blomefield Pattern

32 pr gun and sliding carriage - Blomefield Pattern

Date

1810

Object Number

XIX.739

Provenance

Loan 165. London Borough of Greenwich.

Physical Description

Cast-iron smooth-bore 32-pounder gun of the Blomefield pattern. Cast into the first reinforce is a broad arrow and into the second reinforce the Royal Monogram of George III. Above this has been roughly incised a letter 'M'. The base ring has quarter scales 1-3. The gun is mounted on a replica wooden sliding carriage and traversing platform.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Overall length: 125 in, Diameter of Trunnions: 6.25 in, Diameter of Breech: 22 in, Diameter of Muzzle: 16 in

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 76038

Calibre

6.25 in

Inscriptions and Marks

On left trunnion: '76638 CARRON 1810'. On right trunnion: '32P'. On cascable loop 'C CV'

Associations

Notes

'Carron Company'
Founded in 1759 as a partnership of seven men, being known initially as Roebuck, Garbett and Cadell after the names of the three progenitors, the Englishmen John Roebuck and Samuel Garbett and the Scot William Cadell. The factory was built on the banks of the river Carron near Falkirk, Scotland. From the outset a variety of domestic articles was made; pots and pans, stoves, grates, pipes, railings nails, etc. In 1761 the Company began to experiment with cast-iron cannon but the first batches supplied to the Board of Ordnance were failures, a high proportion being rejected in proof. In 1773 the Ordnance cancelled its contracts and all Carron guns were removed from H.M. ships. The Company was forced to adopt new methods of casting and boring. These were successful and the quick adoption of the carronade in 1779 as a popular government and private armament brought prosperity back to the firm. After the American War it continued to make guns for the East India Company and for overseas customers including foreign governments. During the Napoleonic Wars it became the foremost iron foundry in the country. Amongst the interesting items which it helped to develop and subsequently made in large quantities were the shells invented by Henry Shrapnell. The Company continues today as iron founders and engineers (Campbell, 72-103, 219-22). Note that the serial no. for this gun is 76638 and not 76038