Object Title

32 pr gun and garrison carriage

32 pr gun and garrison carriage

Date

1810

Object Number

XIX.736

Provenance

Royal Ordnance Factory, Kings Meadow Rd, Nottingham. (Old Tower Collection).

Physical Description

Bearing the Royal Monogram of George III.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 114 in, Overall length: 124 in

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 82?

Calibre

6.25 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: W Co 274 RA ESTATE Right trunnion: ?2 Weight on cascable: 55-3-0

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

'The Carron Company'
Founded in 1759 as a partnership of seven men, being known initially as Roebuck, Garbett and Cadell after the names of the three progenitors, the Englishmen John Roebuck and Samuel Garbett and the Scot William Cadell. The factory was built on the banks of the river Carron near Falkirk, Scotland. From the outset a variety of domestic articles was made; pots and pans, stoves, grates, pipes, railings nails, etc. In 1761 the Company began to experiment with cast-iron cannon but the first batches supplied to the Board of Ordnance were failures, a high proportion being rejected in proof. In 1773 the Ordnance cancelled its contracts and all Carron guns were removed from H.M. ships. The Company was forced to adopt new methods of casting and boring. These were successful and the quick adoption of the carronade in 1779 as a popular government and private armament brought prosperity back to the firm. After the American War it continued to make guns for the East India Company and for overseas customers including foreign governments. During the Napoleonic Wars it became the foremost iron foundry in the country. Amongst the interesting items which it helped to develop and subsequently made in large quantities were the shells invented by Henry Shrapnell. The Company continues today as iron founders and engineers (Campbell, 72-103, 219-22).