Object Title

32 pr gun and carriage

32 pr gun and carriage

Date

1853

Object Number

XIX.658

Provenance

M.O.D Proof & Experimental Establishment, Eskmeals, Bootle Station, Cumberland. (Old Tower Collection).

Physical Description

Smooth bored with the first reinforce marked with 'Broad Arrow & 1853', the second reinforce marked 'V.R. & Crown'. The cascabel loop is marked CV C D.
. Dundas Pattern The gun is mounted on a cast iron open framed carriage. The front axle is marked 32 PR Broad Arrow.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 114 in, Diameter of trunnions: 6.375 in, Diameter of breech: 22 in, Diameter of muzzle: 15 in Weight: Carriage: 22 cwt 3 qtr 9 lb

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 5671

Calibre

6.25 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: 5671 Right trunnion: Lowmoor

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

The letter L (for Low Moor) on the trunnions was the mark of 'Dawson & Company'
contractors to the Board of Ordnance for the supply of cast-iron guns and mortars. Joseph Dawson, one of the most remarkable of ironmasters and a Congregational minister who paid his workmen on Sunday before going into the pulpit, established the iron smelting works at Low Moor, near Bradford, in 1789 and began producing cast-iron ordnance and ammunition in 1795. Production of this form of armament continued until the introduction of steel barrels after the Crimean War.