Object Title

18 pr gun and garrison carriage

18 pr gun and garrison carriage

Date

1814

Object Number

XIX.723

Provenance

On loan to The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. (L93) (1991). Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

George III; base ring. Quarter scale sights 1-3, with breeching loop
On original wooden garrison standing carriage

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 96 in, Diameter of muzzle: 14 in, Diameter of trunnions: 5 and 3/8 in, Diameter of breech: 19.5 in

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 82255

Calibre

5.375 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: 82255 CARRON 1814 Right trunnion: 18P

Associations

Notes

The Carron Company
Founded in 1759 as a partnership of seven men, being known initially as Roebuck, Garbett and Cadell after the names of the three progenitors, the Englishmen John Roebuck and Samuel Garbett and the Scot William Cadell. The factory was built on the banks of the river Carron near Falkirk, Scotland. From the outset a variety of domestic articles was made; pots and pans, stoves, grates, pipes, railings nails, etc. In 1761 the Company began to experiment with cast-iron cannon but the first batches supplied to the Board of Ordnance were failures, a high proportion being rejected in proof. In 1773 the Ordnance cancelled its contracts and all Carron guns were removed from H.M. ships. The Company was forced to adopt new methods of casting and boring. These were successful and the quick adoption of the carronade in 1779 as a popular government and private armament brought prosperity back to the firm. After the American War it continued to make guns for the East India Company and for overseas customers including foreign governments. During the Napoleonic Wars it became the foremost iron foundry in the country. Amongst the interesting items which it helped to develop and subsequently made in large quantities were the shells invented by Henry Shrapnell. The Company continues today as iron founders and engineers (Campbell, 72-103, 219-22).