Object Title

18 pr gun and garrison carriage

18 pr gun and garrison carriage



Object Number



On loan to The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. (L93) (1991). Old Saluting Battery. Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

George III; base ring quarter sights 1-3. with breeching loop: Carriage marked W.D. and Broad Arrow on front of left cheek, 42cwt 1858 W.D. and Broad Arrow on front of right cheek, 18pdr on rear of left cheek


Dimensions: Length: 96 in, Diameter of trunnions: 5 and 3/8 in, Diameter of muzzle: 14.5 in, Diameter of breech: 19.5 in


Serial Number 47


5.375 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: W Co Right trunnion: 47


Places Britain


Walker Samuel Walker: Rotherham (Yorkshire) The firm of Samuel Walker & Co was founded at Grenoside near Sheffield in 1741, by the brothers Samuel, Aaron and Jonathan Walker moving to Rotherham in 1746. From about 1773 they supplied many iron guns to the Board of Ordnance these being with few exceptions of excellent quality. The company's mark was WCo on the left trunnion. In 1809 the head of the firm was Joshua Walker. The firm was wound up in 1817. Walker & Co: Wednesbury (Staffs) Founded in about 1820 by Samuel Walker, grandson of Samuel Walker above. In association with William Yates he took over the Gospel Oak Ironworks at Tipton, Staffordshire and in 1822 commenced producing guns using machinery brought from the original Walker foundry at Rotherham. The firm which was in existence until c. 1860, used the same WCo mark on its guns as had the earlier Walker firm.