Object Title

Field gun and garrison carriage

Field gun and garrison carriage

Date

1805

Object Number

XIX.715

Provenance

On loan to The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. (L93) (1991). Prince Edward's Battery. Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

Fitted with a dispart patch and a loop for an elevating screw. With dolphin handles.
Master General of Ordnance Cypher C-Chatham. Astragal marked J & H KING 1805; George III.
Wooden Garrison Standing Carriage. A.M. 1968.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 79 in, Diameter of muzzle: 10 in, Diameter of trunnions: 4.25 in, Diameter of breech 13.5 in

Calibre

Tompion (?)

Associations

Places England

Notes

'John and Henry King'
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.