Object Title

64 pr gun and garrison carriage - 64 pr RML

64 pr gun and garrison carriage - 64 pr RML



Object Number



On loan to The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. (L93) (1991). King Charles Bastion. Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

Rifled; V.R. cypher
On original Wooden Garrison Standing Carriage with fittings for Allen Brake


Dimensions: Length: 114.5 in, Diameter of muzzle: 15 in, Diameter of trunnions: 6.5 in, Diameter of breech: 22.5 in


Serial Number 220


6.375 in

Inscriptions and Marks

220 on gun and carriage


Places Britain


'Allen's brake'
A device to limit recoil and consisted of a wedge or shoe attached to the brackets immediately in rear of the front trucks by three jointed bars and limited the recoil of the gun by jamming under the truck. The brake shoe could be secured out of the way when it was not desired to use it.
The 'Palliser conversion system'
Named after the patentee Captain William Palliser and adopted in 1863, involved boring out the gun and inserting a coiled wrought-iron tube which was rifled and retained in position by an iron collar at the muzzle and a screw plug on the under side slightly forward of the trunnions. These 64pdr converted guns were first issued for sea service but became obsolete for naval use by the late 1870's and were then employed for land service ('Service Ordnance 1886),215-17.' Most of the conversions were done at the Royal Gun Factory. Hundreds were contracted out to the Elswick Ordnance Company, which in 1863 was incorporated into the Sir W.G.Armstrong Company. Armstrong, the renowned engineer, was the inventor of the rifled breech-loading gun with a steel core and a wrought-iron jacket adopted for British forces in 1859 and superseded by his rifled muzzle-loader The Ridsdale, Northumberland, began production in 1839.