Object Title

64 pr gun and carriage - 64 pr RML

64 pr gun and carriage - 64 pr RML

Date

1860-1880

Object Number

XIX.701

Provenance

Loan L93 The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. Prince George's Curtain.

Physical Description

This gun is a muzzle-loader rifled with three grooves, converted on the Palliser principle from a 32 pounder smooth bore. On original wooden garrison standing carriage with fittings for Allen Brake

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 114.5 in, Diameter of muzzle: 15 in, Diameter of trunnions: 6.5 in, Diameter of breech: 22.5 in

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 05842

Calibre

6.375 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Gun left trunnion: R.G.F. No.70 I 1871. Second reinforce: Victorian monogram Broad Arrow First reinforce: 59-2-0 Carriage: W.D. Right hand side cheek, top step: 05842

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

'Allen's Brake' was a device to limit recoil. It consisted of a wedge or shoe which was attached to the brackets immediately in the rear of the front trucks by three jointed bars. This shoe limited the recoil of the gun by jamming under the truck but could be secured out of the way when not required.
The 'Palliser conversion system'
Named after the patentee Captain William Palliser and adopted in 1863, involved boring out the gun and inserting a coiled wrought-iron tube which was rifled and retained in position by an iron collar at the muzzle and a screw plug on the under side slightly forward of the trunnions. These 64pdr converted guns were first issued for sea service but became obsolete for naval use by the late 1870's and were then employed for land service ('Service Ordnance 1886),215-17.' Most of the conversions were done at the Royal Gun Factory. Hundreds werer contracted out to the Elswick Ordnance Company, which in 1863 was incorporated into the Sir W.G.Armstrong Company. Armstrong, the renowned engineer, was the inventor of the rifled breech-loading gun with a steel core and a wrought-iron jacket adopted for British forces in 1859 and superseded by his rifled muzzle-loader The Ridsdale, Northumberland, began production in 1839.