Object Title

18 pr gun and carriage - Blomefield Pattern

18 pr gun and carriage - Blomefield Pattern



Object Number



On loan to The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. (L93) (1991). Prince George's Curtain. Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

Blomefield pattern. Base ring quarter sights 1-3.
George III


Dimensions: Length: 96 in, Diameter of muzzle 14 in, Diameter of trunnions: 5.375 in, Diameter of breech: 19.5 in


Serial Number 82750


5.375 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: 82750 CARRON 1814. Right trunnion: 18P Cascable: 37-2-14 Breech loop: CV N C


Places Britain


The Carron Company
Founded in 1759 as a partnership of seven men, being known initially as Roebuck, Garbett and Cadell after the names of the three progenitors, the Englishmen John Roebuck and Samuel Garbett and the Scot William Cadell. The factory was built on the banks of the river Carron near Falkirk, Scotland. From the outset a variety of domestic articles was made; pots and pans, stoves, grates, pipes, railings nails, etc. In 1761 the Company began to experiment with cast-iron cannon but the first batches supplied to the Board of Ordnance were failures, a high proportion being rejected in proof. In 1773 the Ordnance cancelled its contracts and all Carron guns were removed from H.M. ships. The Company was forced to adopt new methods of casting and boring. These were successful and the quick adoption of the carronade in 1779 as a popular government and private armament brought prosperity back to the firm. After the American War it continued to make guns for the East India Company and for overseas customers including foreign governments. During the Napoleonic Wars it became the foremost iron foundry in the country. Amongst the interesting items which it helped to develop and subsequently made in large quantities were the shells invented by Henry Shrapnell. The Company continues today as iron founders and engineers (Campbell, 72-103, 219-22).