Object Title

32 pr gun and garrison carriage - Blomefield Pattern

32 pr gun and garrison carriage - Blomefield Pattern

Date

1760-1820

Object Number

XIX.696

Provenance

On loan to The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. (L93) (1991). Prince Edward's Battery. Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

Blomefiled pattern, under the cascable it is marked 55-2-7. George III cypher
Cast iron garrison standing carriage marked 32P and Broad Arrow. C. & H

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 113.5 in, Diameter of muzzle: 15.5 in, Diameter of trunnions: 6.375 in, Diameter breech: 22 in Weight: Gun: 55 cwt 2 qtr 7 lb, Carriage: 23 cwt 1 qtr 20 lb

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 432

Calibre

6.375 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: W CO Right trunnion: 432

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

Walker


Samuel Walker: Rotherham (Yorkshire)
The firm of Samuel Walker & Co was founded at Grenoside near Sheffield in 1741, by the brothers Samuel, Aaron and Jonathan Walker moving to Rotherham in 1746.
From about 1773 they supplied many iron guns to the Board of Ordnance these being with few exceptions of excellent quality. The company's mark was WCo on the left trunnion. In 1809 the head of the firm was Joshua Walker. The firm was wound up in 1817.


'Walker & Co: Wednesbury (Staffs)'
Founded in about 1820 by Samuel Walker, grandson of Samuel Walker above. In association with William Yates he took over the Gospel Oak Ironworks at Tipton, Staffordshire and in 1822 commenced producing guns using machinery brought from the original Walker foundry at Rotherham. The firm which was in existence until c. 1860, used the same WCo mark on its guns as had the earlier Walker firm.