Object Title

12 pr field gun and garrison carriage

12 pr field gun and garrison carriage

Date

1809

Object Number

XIX.691

Provenance

On loan to The Royal Citadel, Plymouth, Devon. (L93) (1991). Prince Edward's Battery. Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

Fitted with a dispart patch and a loop at the rear for an elevating screw. Above the trunnions are two dolphin handles. Rear of the barrel is marked with quarter scale sights '1-3'. Cast on top of the barrel are the following: J & H KING 1809, cypher of George III, and the cypher of the Master General of Ordnance. 'C' (Earl of Chatham)
The replica wooden garrison standing carriage is stamped A.M. 1968

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 79 in, Diameter of muzzle: 10 in, Diameter of trunnions: 4.25 in, Diameter of breech: 13.5 in

Calibre

10 in ?

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

John and Henry King
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.