Object Title

3 pr gun and carriage

3 pr gun and carriage

Date

1801

Object Number

XIX.648

Provenance

H.Q. Aldershot District, Steeles Rd., Aldershot, Hants. Loan 88, Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

The first reinforce is marked with the Royal Arms, the second reinforce is decorated with Heraldic Arms. On the chase is the cypher of the Master General of Ordnance C-Cornwallis. The base ring is marked J & H King and the astragals and fillets decorated. The vent patch is marked MDCCCI = 1801. The ends of trunnions turned in roundels.
Mounted on a Wooden Truck Carriage

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 58.5 in, Diameter of trunnions: 2.5 in, Diameter of breech: 9 in

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

2.875 in

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

'John and Henry King'
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.