Object Title

24 pr carronade and garrison carriage

24 pr carronade and garrison carriage

Date

1780

Object Number

XIX.741

Provenance

Dover / Shorncliffe Garrison, Garrison H.Q., Shorncliffe, Kent. Loan 82, Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

With dispart patch under the breech marked H & C No.113 and Broad Arrow. There is an original elevating screw and block
The gun is mounted on an original Cast Iron Garrison Carriage for Carronade, the carriage is marked 24 pr

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 43.25 in, Diameter of muzzle: 11.5 in, Diameter of breech: 15 in Weight: 12 cwt 2 qtr 18 lb, Carriage: 10 cwt 3 qtr 11 lb

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

5.25 in

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

John and Henry King were appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.