Object Title

9 pr gun and carriage - Mark IV R.M.L

9 pr gun and carriage - Mark IV R.M.L

Date

1886

Object Number

XIX.266

Provenance

Transferred to the Armouries from the Admiralty Museum, Upnor Castle, 1959. On loan to Royal Naval Armament Depot, Priddy's Hard, Gosport, Hants. There is a similar gun in the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.

Physical Description

Similar to XIX.234, but having a small block on the swell at the muzzle for the fore sight instead of a prominent dispart patch. The jacket is engraved with the monogram of Queen Victoria and near the breech, is marked with the weight 6-0-6. The left trunnion is marked R.G.F./No.7/IV 1886. The two holes have been drilled to the left front of the vent for the friction-tube pin and another to the right rear for the lanyard guide. All three holes should be filled with preserving screws but have been mutilated as if with a gouge. The hole for the centre rear sight is filled with a bar.


Carriage
Steel with wooden wheels. It is intended for man draught and is therefore of small size. The elevating gear is operated by a hand wheel at the rear of the gearbox. The brackets of the trail are fitted with supports for securing the handspike and sponge, on the right side, with a metal socket for the priming irons or prickers

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 69 in (175.3 cm), Overall length: 74 in (188 cm), Length Brackets: 70 in (177.8 cm), Diameter Wheels: 42 in (106.7 cm) Weight: 6 cwt 6 lb (307.5 kg)

Calibre

3 in (7.6 cm)

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: R.G.F. / No 7 / IV / 1886

Associations

Places Britain

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976. p.93.