Object Title

4.25 in mortar and stand

4.25 in mortar and stand

Date

1813

Object Number

XIX.635

Provenance

R.A.O.C. Museum, Deepcut, Camberley. Loan 56, Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

With George III cypher. The mortar is on a wooden stand

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 12.25 in, Diameter of trunnions: 2.25 in

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

4.25 in

Associations

Places England

Notes

'John and Henry King'
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.