Object Title

Centrefire bolt-action anti-tank rifle - Mauser Model 1918 T-Gewehr

Centrefire bolt-action anti-tank rifle - Mauser Model 1918 T-Gewehr

Object Number

PR.1725

Provenance

Gifted with the Pattern Room by the Ministry of Defence, August 2005.

Physical Description

Part stocked. Barrel blued. Bolt assembly and receiver in the white. 1 barrel band with bipod attached. Stock with wooden pistol grip. Ejection port on right side of receiver. Notch and blade type sights.

Techniques

Manufactured

Materials

Dimensions

BarrelLength37.6 in
BarrelLength955 mm
OverallLength66.9 in
OverallLength1700 mm
OverallWeight18.05 kg
OverallWidth8.7 in
OverallWidth220 mm

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 3084

Calibre

13.2 mm

Inscriptions and Marks

Serial number
084
Safety lever on bolt
Stamped
Date
1918
Top of receiver
Stamped
Serial number
3084
Left side of barrel band, barrel, nocksform, receiver and bolt release, top side of bolt handle
Stamped
Acceptance mark
Crown over G in gothic script
Right side of receiver and barrel band, and underside of bolt handle
Stamped
Acceptance mark
Crown over K
Once on right side of receiver, and three times on right side of chamber
Stamped
Manufacturer
MAUSER in a cartouche
Top of receiver
Stamped
Proof mark
Prussian eagle
Left side of receiver and chamber, and underside of bolt handle
Stamped
NumberingTop of bolt assembly
Stamped

Notes

The German anti-tank rifle T-Gewehr was the first anti-tank rifle or indeed weapon. The Mauser factory at Oberndorf made only 15,800 rifles from November 1918 until the end of the war. It saw service first in January 1918, with serial production starting in April 1918. It was developed from a 13 mm cartridge originally intended for a new heavy machine gun, the Maxim MG 18, which did not go into production. the bullet is 51.5 g with a hard steel core leaving the muzzle at 785 mps. Each Infantry Regiment was assigned two weapons: one to deploy on the front line and the other for training purposes. At the front the rifle was deployed with two men, one carrying the rifle and 12 rounds, the other carried two canvas bags of twenty rounds each, a bipod and a box of 72 rounds. In combat, however, they alternated after 2-3 shots, as the sound effect of the shot caused headaches accompanied by feelings of nausea.