Object Title

3 pr gun and field carriage

3 pr gun and field carriage

Date

1807

Object Number

XIX.214

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

The first reinforce is engraved with the monogram of George III and the chase with the cypher of Francis, 2nd Earl of Moira, Master General of the Ordnance, 1806-7. The first reinforce ring is also engraved with the names of the founders and date, I & H King 1807 (cf. No.299), and the second reinforce ring with the number of the gun CXCV, which is repeated on the right trunnion in arabic numerals, No.195. The cascabel is drilled for a centre rear sight and is marked with the weight 2-3-25. There are loops for an elevating screw below the button and an elevation scale is engraved on the right side of the base ring. The under side bears the foundry numbers T 12 195. Similar to No.215.


Carriage:
The gun is mounted on a field carriage of correct size but of later date, the elevating screw being incorrect for the gun. The carriage retains the axle-tree boxes, but the wheels with iron hubs are later replacements

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 48 in (121.9 cm), Overall length: 52 in (132.1 cm) Weight: 2 cwt 3 qtr 25 lb (151 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

2.9 in (7.4 cm)

Associations

Places Britain

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, no.76, p.84.

Notes

'John and Henry King'
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.