Object Title

6 pr gun and garrison carriage

6 pr gun and garrison carriage



Object Number



Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland. (Old Tower Collection).

Physical Description

The first reinforce is marked with a Broad Arrow and George III cypher. The base ring is cut with quarter scale sights, 1-3.
The gun is mounted on a cast iron garrison carriage numbered 99 and marked 6PR and 15-0-22 K


Dimensions: Length: 95.5 in, Diameter of trunnions: 3 and 5/8 in, Diameter of muzzle: 11 in, Diameter of breech: 14.5 in Weight: Carriage: 15 cwt 22 lb


Serial Number 79145


3.5 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: 79145 CARRON 1812 Right trunnion: 6P



'Carron Company'
Founded in 1759 as a partnership of seven men, being known initially as Roebuck, Garbett and Cadell after the names of the three progenitors, the Englishmen John Roebuck and Samuel Garbett and the Scot William Cadell. The factory was built on the banks of the river Carron near Falkirk, Scotland. From the outset a variety of domestic articles was made; pots and pans, stoves, grates, pipes, railings nails, etc. In 1761 the Company began to experiment with cast-iron cannon but the first batches supplied to the Board of Ordnance were failures, a high proportion being rejected in proof. In 1773 the Ordnance cancelled its contracts and all Carron guns were removed from H.M. ships. The Company was forced to adopt new methods of casting and boring. These were successful and the quick adoption of the carronade in 1779 as a popular government and private armament brought prosperity back to the firm. After the American War it continued to make guns for the East India Company and for overseas customers including foreign governments. During the Napoleonic Wars it became the foremost iron foundry in the country. Amongst the interesting items which it helped to develop and subsequently made in large quantities were the shells invented by Henry Shrapnell. The Company continues today as iron founders and engineers (Campbell, 72-103, 219-22).