Object Title

6 pr gun and garrison carriage

6 pr gun and garrison carriage



Object Number



Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland. (Old Tower Collection).

Physical Description

The first reinforce is marked with a Broad Arrow and George III cypher. The base ring is cut with quarter scale sights, 1-3.
The gun is mounted on a cast iron open framed garrison carriage numbered 28 and marked 6PR and 13-3-25


Dimensions: Length: 95.5 in, Diameter of trunnions: 3.625 in, Diameter of muzzle: 11 in, Diameter of breech: 14.5 in Weight: Carriage: 13 cwt 3 qtr 25 lb


3.625 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: W & Co Right trunnion: 18


Places Britain



Samuel Walker: Rotherham (Yorkshire)
The firm of Samuel Walker & Co was founded at Grenoside near Sheffield in 1741, by the brothers Samuel, Aaron and Jonathan Walker moving to Rotherham in 1746.
From about 1773 they supplied many iron guns to the Board of Ordnance these being with few exceptions of excellent quality. The company's mark was WCo on the left trunnion. In 1809 the head of the firm was Joshua Walker. The firm was wound up in 1817.

'Walker & Co: Wednesbury (Staffs)'
Founded in about 1820 by Samuel Walker, grandson of Samuel Walker above. In association with William Yates he took over the Gospel Oak Ironworks at Tipton, Staffordshire and in 1822 commenced producing guns using machinery brought from the original Walker foundry at Rotherham. The firm which was in existence until c. 1860, used the same WCo mark on its guns as had the earlier Walker firm.

'Bowling Ironworks'
Of Bowling Manor, near Bradford, began trading in foundry and smith's work in 1784. In 1788, largely due to the efforts of the ironmaster 'John Sturges' of Wakefield, they started smelting iron ore in quantity.
'Sturges & Company'
supplied the Board of Ordnance with cast-iron guns and mortars thoughout the Napoleonic Wars, the letter S stamped on the trunnions being their identification letter.