Object Title

6 pr gun and carriage

6 pr gun and carriage



Object Number



Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland. (Old Tower Collection).

Physical Description

With George III cypher the first reinforce is marked Broad Arrow. The base ring quarter scale sights 1-3.
The gun is mounted on an open framed carriage No.29. Marked 6pr. Original small quoin


Dimensions: Length: 96 in, Diameter of trunnions: 3 and 5/8 in, Diameter of muzzle: 11 in, Diameter of breech: 14.5 in Weight: Carriage: 14-3-15


Serial Number 79013


3.5 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: 79013 CARRON 1812 Right trunnion: 6P



'The Carron Company'
Founded in 1759 as a partnership of seven men, being known initially as Roebuck, Garbett and Cadell after the names of the three progenitors, the Englishmen John Roebuck and Samuel Garbett and the Scot William Cadell. The factory was built on the banks of the river Carron near Falkirk, Scotland. From the outset a variety of domestic articles was made; pots and pans, stoves, grates, pipes, railings nails, etc. In 1761 the Company began to experiment with cast-iron cannon but the first batches supplied to the Board of Ordnance were failures, a high proportion being rejected in proof. In 1773 the Ordnance cancelled its contracts and all Carron guns were removed from H.M. ships. The Company was forced to adopt new methods of casting and boring. These were successful and the quick adoption of the carronade in 1779 as a popular government and private armament brought prosperity back to the firm. After the American War it continued to make guns for the East India Company and for overseas customers including foreign governments. During the Napoleonic Wars it became the foremost iron foundry in the country. Amongst the interesting items which it helped to develop and subsequently made in large quantities were the shells invented by Henry Shrapnell. The Company continues today as iron founders and engineers (Campbell, 72-103, 219-22).