Object Title

12 pr gun and garrison carriage

12 pr gun and garrison carriage

Date

1780

Object Number

XIX.600

Provenance

R.A.O.C Apprentices College, Dettingen Barracks, Deepcut, Camberley, Surrey. (Old Tower Collection).

Physical Description

of bronze with cast iron carriage. This bronze gun is a 12 pounder smooth-bore cast in 1780. It comprises cascable, first reinforce, second reinforce, chase and muzzle. The cascable has a plain button with breech mouldings. The first reinforce partly comprises the base ring, vent field and vent field astragal and fillets. The base ring carries the manufacturers inscription, above this is an ogee. The vent field has an ornate vent somewhat in the shape of a marine shell. The vent field astragal is plain with one fillet either side. The rest of the first reinforce up to the the first reinforce ring carries the monogram of George III. The first reinforce ring is plain with ogee. The area of the second reinforce carries the lifting eyes in the shape of dolphins and the trunnions. The chace is bounded by the second reinforce ring and ogee and the muzzle astragal and fillets. There is a short chace girdle with a chace astragal and fillets either side. The monogram on the chace is probably of the Master General of the Board of Ordnance in 1780 who was George, 4th Viscount Townshend. The muzzle has a muzzle swell and mouldings comprising two fillets with a ring and ogee

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 2.13 m (84 in) Diameter of trunnions: 4 in Diameter of breech: 15 in Weight: 1101.2 kg

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

4.625 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Right trunnion: 'O' 'N' 'J' Left trunnion: 'Q3' '6J' Cascable: '21-2-9' Base Ring: J & P VERBRUGGEN RECERUNT. A.1780 On Georgian monogram: 'HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE'

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

'John Verbruggen'
Born in Enkhuizen, Holland, in 1712, became Master Founder of the Dutch Admiralty Bell and Cannon Foundry there in 1746. In 1755 he was appointed Master Founder at The Hague ordnance factory using the new technique of solid casting and barrel boring. Here he was joined by his son Peter (b.1734). He incurred the enmity of General de Creuznach, the inspector General of Artillery, and from 1762 his methods of gunfounding were the subjects of numerous enquiries and criticisms. In 1765 his foundry ceased production and he was eventually replaced by Jean, the son of the famous Swiss gunfounder Samuel Maritz. In spite of this blow to their reputations John and Peter Verbruggen were chosen by the British Board of Ordnance to succeed Andrew Schalch as joint Master Founders at Woolwich in 1770. Here they introduced a new type of horizontal boring machine, models of which can be seen in the Rotunda Museum, Woolwich, and the Science Museum, London. John died in 1782, Peter continuing alone until his death in 1786. A collection of fifty watercolour drawings of c.1776 showing the various processes of cannon founding at the Royal Brass Foundry under the Verbruggen's direction, now in a Dutch private collection, may have been painted by either John or Peter. Both men had artistic talent, John, the more accomplished, exhibiting in England in 1772. See M. H. Jackson & C. de Beer, 'Eighteenth Century Gunfounding' (Newton Abbot, 1973). Cf. Nos. 60, 106-7.