Object Title

9 pr gun and garrison carriage

9 pr gun and garrison carriage

Date

1811

Object Number

XIX.639

Provenance

On loan to Prince Consorts Library, Aldershot, Hampshire, Loan 62. Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

With cypher of George III on the first reinforce. On the chase is the cypher of the Master General of the Ordnance, Henry 1st Earl of Mulgrave. Above the dolphins is the mark CCCXXXII and a dispart patch to the muzzle. There is a brass tompion in place, in the muzzle, with a GR cypher.
The gun is mounted on a cast-iron garrison carriage

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 72 in, Diameter of trunnions: 3.75 in, Diameter of breech: 12.5 in Weight: 13 cwt 2 quarters 22 pounds or 241 kg

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

9 pr

Inscriptions and Marks

On cascable: 13-2-22 on garrison carriage: 17-0-14

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

'John and Henry King'
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.