Object Title

Horse armour

Horse armour

Date

1515

Object Number

VI.14

Provenance

Probably transferred from the Palace at Greenwich about 1649

Physical Description

Consisting of right flanchard, peytral and crupper. The left flanchard, shaffron and crinet are missing. Each element is decorated with sprays of radiating flutes and etched floral ornament and trophies on a hatched ground. Traces of gilding remain, most on the flanchard and the central plate of the peytral. Intervening spaces are filled with the portcullis badge of the King, and seven-petalled flowers probably intended to be Tudor roses. On the central plate of the peytral the central spray of flutes is flanked by an accurately depicted Tudor rose and a fleur-de-lys. The side plates of the peytral are embossed with circular bulges at the shoulders. All elements of the armour are drilled at intervals with pairs of holes for lacing, either for a temporary fabric cover (which seems unlikely given the decoration) or for a lining. The semi-circular opening for the tail in the rear of the crupper is is bordered with small holes for attaching lining.

Dimensions

PeytralDepth552 mm
PeytralHeight655 mm
PeytralWidth615 mm

Component parts

Inscriptions and Marks

none

Bibliographic References

A.R. Dufty and W. Reid, European Armour in the Tower of London, 1968, plate IV, XVIII.

J.G. Mann, Exhibition of Armour made in the Royal Workshops at Greenwich, H.M. Tower of London, 22 May-29 September, 1951, no.4a

G Rimer, T Richardson and J P D Cooper, Henry VIII: arms and the man, Leeds, 2009,

Notes

It has been suggested that this armour was made by the group of Italian craftsmen working in England for Henry VIII. Structurally it has a great deal in common with the Burgundian bard, vi.6-12, and it is possible that it might be by the Flemings under Martin van Royne working in England. RC2: Permission to lend required from the sovereign.