Object Title

Gun and carriage

Gun and carriage

Date

1639

Object Number

XIX.29

Provenance

Old Tower Collection

Physical Description

These five guns are slightly smaller than the preceding series and the mouldings are lighter and more graceful. On each gun the second reinforce bears the badge of the Prince of Wales and C.P., the first reinforce being inscribed with the maker and date THOMAS PITT MADE THIS PEECE 1639 and with the weight numerals. The touch hole is bushed with steel, except for XIX.31 where the bush has been blown out. No. XIX.33 lacks the badge and initials and is slightly smaller in the bore


Carriage
Each gun is mounted on a mid 19th-century wooden truck carriage probably made to replace the original ship-type carriage destroyed in the 1841 fire. There are only two wheels, the rear being supported on blocks. The cheeks or sides of the carriage are ornamented with the badge of the Prince of Wales and the initials C.P. (Caroulus Princeps) applied in relief

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 24 in (61 cm), Overall length: 26.5 in (67.3 cm) Weight: 1 qtr 11 lb (17.7 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

1.1 in (2.8 cm)

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.66.

Notes

Half a battery of ten similar guns made for Prince Charles, later Charles II; five (Nos. 24-28) by John Browne in 1638 and these five by Thomas Pitt 1639.


'Thomas Pitt'
Son of Henry Pitt, brother of Richard with whom he worked. In his will he describes himself as 'of the Tower of London Gunfounder' (P.C.C. Rivers 130). A mortar by Thomas Pitt is at Blair Castle, the property of the Duke of Atholl.