Object Title

3 pr gun

3 pr gun

Date

1797

Object Number

XIX.268

Provenance

Formerly at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich; transferred to the Tower, 1969.

Physical Description

The first reinforce bears the royal monogram of George III and the chase, the cypher of the Marquis Cornwallis, Master General of the Ordnance 1795-1801, both surrounded by the Garter and backed by the Star and the Order and both in relief. The first reinforce ring is decorated with a band of running foliage, the chase girdle with a design of convolvulus and roses, and above the muzzle astragal is a band of acanthus foliage, all in relief. The base-ring is inscribed 1o & Hy KING 1797 and is engraved with quarter-sight scales. The second reinforce is stamped with the number 10 in small numerals and the underside is incised with the foundry numbers 6 over H over 102. There is a vent patch drilled for attaching a lock; the cascabel has a passage for a rear sight and is marked with the weight 3-1-24. The button has rings or loops below for connecting to the head of an elevating screw. The trunnions have slight shoulders and the ends are turned with mouldings

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 1194 mm (47 in.), Overall length: 1295 mm (51 in.); max diameter: 285 mm Weight: 3 cwt 1 qtr 24 lb (176 Kilos)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 10

Calibre

3 in _ (7.62 cm)

Associations

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, no.66, p.80.

Notes

This gun was one of ten cast in 1797 as a gift for the Sultan of Morocco, Moulay Soliman, 1792-1822. One was rejected at proof. This gun, was made to replace it and was successfully proved on 30 October 1797 (W.P.R.6). It is not known why it was not delivered.
Throughout the 18th century, gifts of arms, clocks and mechanical curiosities were made to the various Sultans as part of a general policy of maintaining friendship with Morocco because of its strategic value in relation to the defence of Gibralter. Cf. XIX.268.


'John and Henry King'
Appointed Founders of the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1784, and Foreman and Assistant Foreman in 1789 being promoted to Master Founder and Assistant Founder on the revival of these offices in 1797. John King continued in the post until his death in 1813 when he was succeeded by his brother Henry (W.O.47/116, p. 692; W.O. 47/2560, p.414; W.O. 47/2630, p.1143), until his retirement in 1818, when the post of Master Founder was abolished. Cornelius King, the son of John King, was appointed foreman at the Royal Brass Foundry at Woolwich in 1805, and on the death of his father was promoted to Assistant Founder. On the retirement of his uncle, Henry King, he remained in charge of the foundry with the rank of Acting Founder. He retired in 1822 to be succeeded by William North.