Object Title

2.75 pr gun

2.75 pr gun

Date

1755

Object Number

XIX.55

Provenance

In the 1857 Tower Remain (Armouries MS January 1921) the gun is said to have been captured at Kabul, presumably during the first Afghan War, 1841-2.

Physical Description

The piece has a band of acanthus foliage in low relief at the muzzle and the chase bears a triple scroll inscribed COMPAGNIE DES INDES DE FRANCE 175[5] (the last digit of the date is nearly obliterated but appears to be 5). The dolphins are naturalistic. The first reinforce ring has been engraved with an inscription or numerals, now illegible; immediately behind the ring the metal is stamped A No.17 2.75pr. The left trunnion is incised No.8 and the right 460 for the weight. The first reinforce bears a rococo shield charged with the arms of the 'Compagnie des Indes de France' (the figure of Neptune and a chief semy with fleur-de-lys) surmounted by a ducal coronet and supported by two Indians. The base ring is inscribed with the name of the founder A. DOUAY. PAR. J. BERENGER, and the cascabel is engraved with the weight in the English fashion, 4-1-14, the button being engraved with the calibre, 2.75 p

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length 64.5 in (1639 mm), Overall length: 1753 mm (69 in.); Height: 1753mm; Max Diameter: 280 mm Weight: 4 cwt 1 qtr 14 lb (222.2 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 8 or 17 (?)

Calibre

2.75 in _ (7 cm)

Associations

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.120.

Notes

The statement made in the 1859 'Inventory', and repeated in the 1916 'Inventory', that this gun was captured at Seringapatam cannot be verified. If true, the capture would have occurred either at the battle of Arikera in 1791 or when the town itself was stormed by Major General Baird in 1799.
The 'Compagnie des Indes' was formed in 1719 as the result of the amalgamation of two older companies and was dissolved in 1770 (see also No.134). there are two guns cast for the 'Compagnie des Indes' in the Rotunda Museum, Woolwich, Nos.II. 104, 128, the latter being also by Berenger; another by the same founder, dated 1755, is in the Musee de la Marine, Paris (No.N 116).
'Jean Francois Berenger'
1725-1802, was a member of a gunfounding dynasty started by Claude Berenger (cf.No.51) in the 17th century. He worked at both Douai and Strasbourg, marrying Laurence, daughter of Jean Maritz II (cf. No.54) in 1750. A 'Commissaire des Fontes', he instigated improvements at these foundries and in 1775 invented a 'mortier de 12 pouces' with a special chamber (T.Durtubie, 'Manuel de l'Artilleur'(Paris, L'An 3), 62, pl.2).