Object Title

Lance

Lance

Date

1868-1888

Object Number

VII.713

Provenance

Old Tower collection.

Physical Description

General Type Description: The blade has a small, leaf-shaped, triangular-sectioned, hollow ground, steel head which is supported on a long conical socket (without langets). The bamboo haft has a buff leather sling secured by a white thong. (After 1883 a leather sleeve or 'protector' was fitted below the sling). The largely conical cast iron shoe begins with a short cylindrical section (without langets) before expanding to form a rounded flange below which it tapers to a rounded point.


Variations, losses, damage, etc: [to include: sling; protector present/absent; D-ring present; pennon present]

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length of head: 317 mm (12.5 in)

Inscriptions and Marks

On shoe, stamped: 12 over RL over 147, and ENFIELD W.D. 58 (CHECK THE LATTER - FROM FFOULKES 1916

Associations

Places Britain

Bibliographic References

C ffoulkes, Inventory and survey of the armouries of the Tower of London, London, HMSO, 1916, vol. II, p. 234.

Notes

The main publications dealing with this pattern are (photocopies on inv. file):
C J ffoukkes and E C Hopkinson, 'Sword, lance and bayonet...', Cambridge, University Press, 1938, pp. 103-6.
J D Chown, 'The British lance', '[The Canadian Journal of] Arms Collecting', VII, no. 3 (Aug. 1969), pp. 97-102.
I Skennerton, 'British sword and lance patterns' Small Arms Identification Series, no. 6, Ian D. Skennerton, Ashmnore City, Australia, 1994, pp. 35-7.
The main changes to this pattern were as follows (information drawn from the above and from researches by Mrs Bridget Clifford):
'1868 - pattern first introduced - List of Changes, no. 4451 (check), 6 June 1868.
'1883 - leather sleeve ('protector') to be fitted to haft - List of Changes, no. 4451, DATE (ffoulkes, p. 105, note 2).
'1885 - ash staves authorised when bamboo not available (pattern 1885) - List of Changes 4715, 13 May 1885. Declared obsolete 29 September 1887 - List of Changes, no. 5605.
1896 - brass D-ring introduced, secured to the haft with waxed twine - List of Changes 8366, 2 May 1896.
'1898 - the D-ring now to be secured to the haft with copper wire - List of Changes, no. TO BE COMPLETED.
'1906 - The D-ring was discontinued (Chown, p. 101) - List of Changes, no. TO BE COMPLETED
A new pattern was inrtroduced in 1984 - List of Changes, no. 7666, 11 July & 23 August 1894 (see under VII.COMPL.), but it was not universally adopted and the 1868 pattern continued in use.