Object Title

18 pr gun and garrison carriage

18 pr gun and garrison carriage



Object Number



Edinburgh Castle, A.M. Scottish H.Q. Lady Lawson St. Edinburgh, Scotland, Loan 12. Old Tower Collection.

Physical Description

The first reinforce is marked with a Broad Arrow and George III cypher. The base ring is cut with quarter scale sights, 1-3; the cascabel loop is marked CV C.
The gun is mounted on a cast iron open framed garrison cariage numbered 10 marked 18 PR and 18-1-6


Dimensions: Length: 108 in, Diameter of trunnions: 5.25 in, Diameter of muzzle: 14 in, Diameter of breech: 19.5 in Weight: Carriage: 18 cwt 1 qtr 6 lb


Serial Number None visible


5.25 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: 6 Right trunnion: S


Places Britain


Sturges & Co
The bowling Ironworks of Bowling Manor, near Bradford, began trading in foundry and smith's work in 1784. In 1788 largely due to the efforts of the ironmaster John Sturges of Wakefield, they started smelting iron ore in quantity.
The company supplied the Board of Ordnance with cast-iron guns and mortars throughout the Napoleonic Wars, the letter S stamped on the trunnions being their identification letter.