Object Title

18 pr gun and garrison carriage

18 pr gun and garrison carriage

Date

1800

Object Number

XIX.470

Provenance

Edinburgh Castle, A.M. Scottish H.Q. Lady Lawson St. Edinburgh, Scotland.

Physical Description

The first reinforce is marked with a Broad Arrow and George III cypher. The base ring is cut with quarter scale sights, 1-3; the cascabel loop is marked CV C 63.
The gun is mounted on a cast iron open framed garrison carriage marked 18 PR and 18-3-0 E

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 108 in, Diameter of trunnions: 5.25 in, Diameter of muzzle: 14 in, Diameter of breech: 19.5 in Weight: Carriage: 18 cwt 3 qtr

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

5.25 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Left trunnion: 8 Right trunnion: S

Associations

Places Britain

Notes

Sturges & Co
The bowling Ironworks of Bowling Manor, near Bradford, begn trading in foundry and smith's work in 1784. In 1788 largely due to the efforts of the ironmaster John Sturges of Wakefield, they started smelting iron ore in quantity.
The firm of 'Sturges & Company' supplied the Board of Ordnance with cast-iron guns and mortars throughout the Napoleonic Wars, the letter S stamped on the trunnions being their identification letter.