Object Title

4 in saker

4 in saker

Date

1555

Object Number

XIX.304

Provenance

Acquired with the assistance of the National Art Collections Fund in 1973. The cannon is known to have been at Lee Castle, Lanarkshire, for some years, with another similar gun, now lost.

Physical Description

Slender barrel cast with double bands of plain turned mouldings. Cascabel of flat form ornamented with acanthus foliage, the slender button engraved with the number 66 in Turkish numerals. The base ring bears the inscripion OPVS REMIGY DE HALVT, and beneath, ANNO 1555, the date itself being engraved more faintly than the rest. The vent, set in a rectangular moulding has been spiked with iron and the vent cover broken off. The first reinforce bears a crowned shield in relief showing the arms of Spain impaling those of England for Philip and Mary, and a rectangular cartouche containing the words PHILIPVS REX. On the reinforce moulding is lightly engraved 2O82. Behind the realistic dolphins is a small Turkish inscription: the upper line is indecipherable but the lower one appears to read QITAR 187 (Series 187). The trunnions taper slightly to their ends. The chase is pitted towards the muzzle and on the lower right side has received a deep graze, possibly from a cannon ball. A stone ball is stuck in the barrel 7 inches from the muzzle

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 109.25 in (277.3 cm), Overall length: 116.5 in. (295.9 cm) Weight: _

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

4 in _ (10.16 cm)

Associations

Places Flanders

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, p.204.

Notes

'Remy de Halut'
Later Vicomte de Berg St. Vinoc and Captain in the Regiment of Philip de Montmorency, succeeded Hans Poppenruyter as Master Founder at Mechelen (Malines), near Antwerp, after marrying Poppenruyter's widow in 1536. He remained in charge until his death in 1568 when the foundry was taken over by his wife's nephew Gerard van den Nieuwenhuyse. See G. van Doorslaer, L'Ancienne Industrie du Cuivre a Malines (Malines, 1910),1,59-66. A pair of guns similar to No.359 but larger, by the same founder and with the arms of Philip and Mary, were recovered in 1971 from the wreck of the Spanish Armada ship La Trinidad Valencera off the coast of Donegal. Other examples of de Halut's work are Nos.3662 and 199 in the Museo del Ejercito, Madrid, and Nos. D 1-3 in the Museu de Artilharia, Lisbon. Outside the Town Hall at Enkhuizen, Holland, is a cannon known as 'het Roode paert' (the red horse), made by de Halut for Charles V. On this one the date, 1551 is also engraved on the base ring in the same light fashion as on XII.304. Another of his guns made for Charles V was in the Armouries at the time of the 1841 fire when it was badly fused and apparently scrapped (1841 Guide,38). The number 2082 on the reinforce of No.304 is probably the weight in Castilian pounds, the latter unit weighing 460 grammes compared with the modern pound of 453.6 grammes compared with the modern pound of 453.6 grammes (see M.Lewis, Armada Guns, London 1961, 208-16).