Object Title

Cannon perrier

Cannon perrier

Date

1627

Object Number

XIX.93

Provenance

Captured together with No.92 in the Bocca Tigris Forts on the Chu-Kiang or Canton River by the forces under the command of Commodore Sir J.J. Gordon Bremer in February 1841. Brought from China in 1842, together with Nos.36 (qv), 181, 191 (?), and placed in the Tower (W.O. 44/524).

Physical Description

The gun is similar in general design to No.92. It is by the same founder but is considerably larger and different in detail. The muzzle mouldings are heavier; the name of the gun engraved in front of the muzzle astragal is S. LOVRECO (St. Lawrence); the arms of Portugal on the chase include suporters in the form of angels, one holding above the head a cross, the other a disk-like object possibly intended for a monstrance. The muzzle is incised XXXXX. Other features and inscriptions, including the date, are similar to those of No.XIX.92.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 11ft 2in (134 in) (3404 mm), Overall length: 12ft 2in (146 in) (3708 mm)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

10.5 in _ (26.7cm)

Associations

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, P.141-142.

Notes

There are two similar guns to Nos.92 and 93 in the Rotunda Museum, Woolwich, No.II. 144, named St. Anthony and captured with the Tower guns, and No 145 named St. Michael. The latter was acquired separately but apparently also came from Canton. The presence of these four cannon in Canton can be explained by the Chinese liking for qualities of the Portuguese designed guns . In 1717 the Council of Macao agreed to present the Emperor of China, through the Viceroy of Canton, with two cannon from the fortress of St. Tiago da Barra. A list of cannon in this fortress included two named St. Lawrence and St. Ildefonso. The two Tower cannon Nos. 92 and 93, may therefore be the 1717 gifts. However, Portuguese cannon often bore these saints' names and there were earlier consignments of guns to the Ming Emperors between 1627 and 1644. In the description of a Portuguese ship from Macao taken by the Dutch in 1637 was a cannon with the name of St Lawrence. See C.R. Boxer, 'Expedicoes militares portuguesas em auxilio dos Mings contra os Manchus (1621-44), 'Boletim Eclesiastico da Diocese de Macau', March 1940.