Object Title

32 pr gun and garrison carriage - Blomefield Pattern

32 pr gun and garrison carriage - Blomefield Pattern



Object Number


Physical Description

Cast-iron 32 pr gun of the Blomefield pattern for sea service or Fortress use. The second reinforce bears the monogram of George III in relief. The second reinforce ring and cascable are drilled for the attachment of fore and rear sights with the cascable having a breeching loop. The gun is mounted on a wooden common standing garrison carriage with iron trucks


Weight: 2843 kg


Serial Number 415


6.4 in _ (16.2 cm)

Inscriptions and Marks

right trunnion '415' left trunnion 'WCo' below the cascable button '55-3-11'


Places Britain


'Walker & Co'
Founded at Grenoside near Sheffield in 1741, by the brothers Samuel, Aaron and Jonathan Walker moving to Rotherham in 1746.
From about 1773 they supplied many iron guns to the Board of Ordnance these being with few exceptions of excellent quality. The company's mark was WCo on the left trunnion. In 1809 the head of the firm was Joshua Walker. The firm was wound up in 1817.

'Walker & Co: Wednesbury (Staffs)'
Founded in about 1820 by Samuel Walker, grandson of Samuel Walker above. In association with William Yates he took over the Gospel Oak Ironworks at Tipton, Staffordshire and in 1822 commenced producing guns using machinery brought from the original Walker foundry at Rotherham. The firm which was in existence until c. 1860, used the same WCo mark on its guns as had the earlier Walker firm.