Object Title

Pavise

Pavise

Date

1471-1499

Object Number

V.11

Provenance

Lanthorn tower room six

Physical Description

Parallel sided with rounded corners and flattened central ridge. It is constructed of wood faced on both sides with canvas. The outer face which has a covering of gesso is painted with two shields, the dexter bearing the arms of Imhof, the sinster those of Harsdorf, backed by mantling and surmounted by a helm bearing the Imhof crest; this decoration is later in date than the shield itself. there has been a central grip and a hoop or bar at the top for suspension, now both missing. A sample of paint has been removed at the top right, revealing a design in white, yellow and vermillion with a glossy black border.

Dimensions

Dimensions: length 685 mm, width 393 mm Weight: 3.80 kg

Inscriptions and Marks

none

Associations

Places Germany

Notes

Other shields of this type painted with the arms of various Nuremberg families are preserved in the church of St Lorenz in Nuremberg where they were suspended as funerary achievements. The arms were probably added in the mid 17th century Other shields of this group are in the Kienbusch collection Nos. 276, 277.