Object Title

Cross-guard

Cross-guard

Date

1900-1930

Object Number

IX.1303 B

Provenance

Originally registered in the Imperial War Museum in 1927, red reg. no. 16473 ('Royal Scots Fusiliers and HLI') having been presented by the Wilkinson Sword Company. It presumably came to the Tower in about 1938 when Charles ffoulkes set up his study collection.

Physical Description

Flat, nickel-plated steel cross-guard, expanding towards its centre and with rounded sides when seen in plan, and centrally pierced by a rectangular hole. The finials are spherical with a stand shaped like a reel.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 172 mm (6.75 in), width (max.): 26.6 mm (1.05 in), thickness: 4.85 mm (0.19 in) Weight: 120 gm (4.2 oz)

Associations

Places Britain

Bibliographic References

B. Robson, Swords of the British Army..., 1st edn, London, 1975, p. 130, Pl. 144 (centre) - photo printed in reverse.

Notes

For the use and introduction of these cross-guards generally, see entry for IX.1303 A, under Notes.
According to the Imperial War Museum register and the typed inventory entry (IBE), this particular pattern of cross-guard was associated with the Royal Scots Fusiliers and the Highland Light Infantry. At an earlier dadte, the latter regiment (the 71st before 1881) used a cross-guard with a langet (see B. Robson, 'Swords of the British Army...', rev'd edn, 1996, p. 184, Pl. 175 (left), and IX.5193).
The red Imperial War Museum registration number has been cleaned off. Its shadow is still visible though the figure 6 is not now certianly legible.