Object Title

Dagger - Quillon Dagger

Dagger - Quillon Dagger

Date

1600-1650

Object Number

X.775

Provenance

From the Thames at Richmond

Physical Description

The iron hilt consists of two short, lobated quillons joined to a convex, retangular quillon block. The ivory grip is of circular section, swelling away from the blade with a lobated top through which the end of the tang projects. A small pommel, washer or tang-button has probably been lost. The single-edged blade has a double-edged, reinforced tip of diamond section. The flat back is saw-cut beyond the ricasso. The blade is heavily corroded and in excavated condition. The extreme tip of the blade has snapped off. The hilt and ricasso are decorated with inlaid and chased silver wire. The quillons have convoluted sparse foliage ending in corn husks and with a stylised flower in the centre. The quillon block has on each side a rectangle containing flowers. The design on the ricasso is very worn but appears originally to have been a diamond within a rectangle with flowers. The back of the ricasso has tracfes of gilding. A large crack runs vertically through roughly a third of the hilt, from the quillons upwards.

Techniques

Inlaying, Gilding

Materials

Dimensions

BladeLength217 mm
OverallLength330 mm
OverallWeight175 g

Inscriptions and Marks

Label
a sticky label has been stuck to the grip at some point, stating, 'From the Thames at Richmond'.
on grip
Sticker

Associations

Notes

A number of daggers survive with similar blades and silver encrusted iron hilts, but more commonly have wooden grips, sometimes faceted. For further information on this group see A. V. B. Norman, 'Wallace Collection Catalogues. European Arms and Armour Supplement' (London 1986), 178f. under No. A822, which gives further references and states that dated blades range from 1621 to 1632. Included in this group are the Royal Armouries Inv. Nos. X.267 and X.389 with blades dtaed 1628 and 1631 respectively. For another example with an ivory grip (and also, unusually, ivory quillons) see Claude Blair, 'The James A. Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor. Arms, Armour and Base-Metalwork' (Friborg 1974) 186-188 under No.66.