Object Title

Trophy boss

Trophy boss

Date

1800-1899

Object Number

XVIII.565

Physical Description

This element from an arms display is probably the centre of an ornamental flower, with petals and leaves composed of sword blades, that was attached to wire on the northern reveal of the central window of the western chamber on the first floor of the White Tower. This idiosyncratic feature formed part of the decoration of the Volunteers Arsenal that was opened to the public in 1863 and can be idenfified in contemporary engravings and photographs

Associations

Places England