Object Title

Breastplate

Breastplate

Date

about 1859

Object Number

III.3224

Provenance

Tower arsenal. On loan 67 to Headquarters, Eastern Command, Flagstaff House, Colchester.

Physical Description

previously attched to a wooden shield now removed the mounts still remain. It has a shallow cut-out at the neck, shallow arm-openings and a medial keel terminating in a triangular facet just above the waist, which has a flange that deepens to a point at its centre. The neck, arm-openings and waist-flange have plain, brass border. The edges are bordered by thirty large brass rivets of round-headed form. The rivets are fitted with large circular internal washers, some of which are missing. At either side of the chest is riveted an mushroom-shaped brass stud, to engage the shoulder-straps of the backplate. Lacquered and lighlty patinated.

Inscriptions and Marks

stamped at the left with a crown over downward pointing broad arrow, No. 4, and crown over 8. Inside stamped at left is an inverted crowned arrow and a large 4 at the flange. In red chalk is 5 in the centre of the chest.

Associations

Places England