Object Title

Armour

Armour

Date

1871-1898

Object Number

XXVIA.137

Provenance

Presented 1953.

Physical Description

This armour consists of a hemispherical iron helmet and a full length quilted coat with sleeves and a v-shaped opening at the back. The helmet bowl is made in two pieces, a spun hemisherical upper section riveted to a lower almost cylindrical band, the joint being covered by a narrow moulding. At the apex is a concave sided cone terminating in a small knop, both being held in place by a large slotted nut inside. At the front is a sliding nasal fastened by a screw with a double slotted head. The lower edge is pierced with holes to which is attached a neck guard of fine butted mail shaped with a point on each side in front and a longer point at the back. At the apex of the rear point is an iron hook. The skirt of the jibbah is slit down both the front and back for riding. It is made up from different pieces of, probably European fabrics, one of which is a brocade with green flowers and foliage on a pale ground. The helmet's blue and white striped lining is also quilted.

Dimensions

Dimensions: The height of the helmet skull is 150 mm, the diameter is 210 mm and the overall height is 540 mm. Weight: The weight of the helmet is 1.8 kg. It is not possible to weigh the coat on the dummy.

Component parts

Inscriptions and Marks

None.

Associations

Places Sudan

Notes

A note sewn into the lining states that the armour was taken from the Mahdi's tent after the battle of Omdurman, 1898, by a Major George Rae. George Lake Sidney Ray, born 6 May 1868, was educated at Wellington College and joined the 1st battalion Northumberland Fusileers on 4 September 1887. He was promoted Lieutenant 10 April 1890, Captain 20 December 1895 and Brevet Major 16 November 1898. He served in the Sudan campaign and was present at the battle of Omdurman, being mentioned in despatches. He was killed in action at Magersfontein, South Africa, on 11 December 1899. His medals are preserved in the Regimental Museum of the Royal Northumberland Fusileers at Alnwick Castle, Northumnerland.