Presented by the East India Company, 1851
This cap is made of cane and is of tall conical shape wrapped with a paggri of dark blue silk, the ends of which are ornamented with silver thread. The front of the cap carries a vertical strip of steel with transverse crescent shapes and a spear shaped finial. This is held to the cap with a long cord of plaited steel wire with gilt ends, wound round the centre of the cap many times. Into this are thrust three small steel knives. Placed over the cap are six steel quoits, 'chakram', with sharpened edges of varying sizes, the largest resting just above the lower edge of the cap, the smallest just below the top.
Thom Richardson, An introduction to Indian arms and armour, Leeds, Royal Armouries, 2007: 31
J. Hewitt, Official catalogue of the Tower Armouries, London, 1859, no. xv.137, p.99.
Viscount Dillon, Illustrated guide to the Armouries, London, 1910, no. xv.148, p.33.
A further example belongs to Stonyhurst Jesuit College, Nr Clitheroe, Lancs. This one, seen 25th Jan 2000, comprises an iron tree, the braided wire cord, a series of quoits, a bagh nakh and several small knives, together with a length of dark blue cloth. The basket framework does not seem to have survived. Another example is in the British Museum, London.