Object Title

Right pauldron and vambrace

Right pauldron and vambrace

Date

about 1610

Object Number

III.2039

Provenance

From the Armoury at Littlecote House. Purchased 15/11/1985.

Physical Description

The pauldron comprises a main plate with two lames above and three below, overlapping upwards and downwards from the main plate. The main plate is rounded at the front and rear, narrowing to the front. At the centre of the lower edge is a deep, rectangular cut-away, with a flange at either side. At the centre, centre-front, above the cutaway, and front, are pairs of rivets for the internal leathers. The lower of the upper lames is narrow, the upper wide, narrowing to the front. At the centre of the upper lame is an associated buckle with a cusped hasp. The lames are articulated by rivets at the rear, and by internal leathers at the front and centre. The lower lames are gutter-shaped, and articulated by rivets at the rear, and modern internal leathers at the centre and front. The lower lame is fitted with a modern buckle at the front. The lower lame is fitted with a modern buckle at the front, a strap at the rear, and a central transverse slot, intended to engage a turning pin on a vambrace. The main edges are inwardly turned, and bordered by double incised lines, and, except on the bottom lame, by linng rivets. The subsidiary edges are bordered by double incised lines.
The vambrace is a restoration made before 1840. The upper cannon is tubular, with a turner above and an arched cutaway at the lower front. The couter is of bracelet form with transverse ridge across the front terminating at the medial pucker. The main edges are inwardly turned, and, along with the ridge, harshly file-roped. The lower cannon is tubular, of two plates hinged at the rear and fastened at the front with a pin-catch. The edges are plain.

Dimensions

Dimensions: overall height 670 mm (26.4 in.) Weight: 6 lb 10 oz ( 3.0 kg )

Inscriptions and Marks

None

Bibliographic References

Sotheby's, The Contents of Littlecote House, vol.II, 22 November 1985, lot 50.

Notes

Conserved in 1968