Object Title

Buff coat

Buff coat

Date

1631-1670

Object Number

III.1934

Provenance

From the Armoury at Littlecote House. Purchased 15/11/1985.

Physical Description

The four panels of the body each have a broad, flaring skirt. The front edges are pierced with fifteen eyelet holes on each side, threaded with the original laces so that a chevron pattern is produced when the coat is closed. The laces tye at the neck and waist. The low, standing collar is two piece and pierced at the right with two holes for buttons on cords and on the left for two cord loops. The button cords and loops survive. Each two-piece sleeve is full length and has an opening at the front of the cuff 7 cm in length. At the rear of the right cuff opening is a fragment of red fabric. The buff leather is stained bright yellow ochre, everywhere except beneath the lining. Over this series of buff coats it varies in thickness between 1.5 and 5.5 mm with a mean of about 3.5 mm. All the seams are butt-sewn and the edges plain. The body, above the waist, and sleeves are lined with linen and, and the body with an interlining of coarse canvas. The front opening was fastened by eight pairs of hooks and eyes, attached to the lining.

Dimensions

Dimensions: height 93.5 cm ( 36.9 in ), width at armpit 45.5 cm ( 18.0 in ), width at hem 97.0 cm ( 38.3 in ), with at each skirt 50.5 cm ( 19.9 in ), sleeve, outside length 59.0 cm ( 23.3 in ) Weight: 7 lb 0 oz ( 3.2 kg )

Inscriptions and Marks

L at the base of the neck.

Bibliographic References

P Connor (ed) All the Queen's horses, Lexington, Kentucky Horse Park, 2003:

Richardson, T, 'The buff coats at Littlecote House', Arms collecting, vol.26, No.1, February 1988, fig.4

Notes

One of the series of buff coats iii.1919-52 but omitted from the Sothery catalogue.