From the Armoury at Littlecote House. Purchased 15/11/1985.
The body is made in four panels, each with a broad, flaring skirt. The front edges are pierced with twenty-two eyelet holes at either side, of which six are more widely spaced than the others and extend down the skirt. The original laces are threaded down either side to give a chevron pattern when closed, and tying at the neck and waist. At the neck is a low, standing collar mad in two pieces and pierced with two holes for buttons on cords at the right and teo for cord loops on the left. Each full length sleeve is made in two pieces. At the front of each cuff is an opening 7.5 cm in length. The buff leather is stained bright yellow ochre, everywhere except beneath the lining. Over this series of buff coats it varies in thickness between 1.5 and 5.5 mm with a mean of about 3.5mm. All the seams are butt-sewn and the edges plain. The body, above the waist, and sleeves were lined with linen, and the body with an interlining of coarse canvas. None of the lining survives. The front opening was fastened by eight pairs of hooks and eyes, attached to the lining. The seam of the left sleeve is open at the shoulder.
Sotherby's The Contents of Littlecote House, vol.II, 22 November 1985, lot 146.
Richardson, T., 'The Buff Coats at Littlecote House', Arms Collecting, vol.XXVI No.1, Feb. 1988, fig.3.
One of the series of buff coats iii.1919-52.