Object Title

Centrefire automatic belt-fed machine gun - Colt-Browning

Centrefire automatic belt-fed machine gun - Colt-Browning

Date

1895

Object Number

XII.5720

Provenance

Transferred from the Royal Naval Armament Depot Museum, Upnor Castle, in 1958. Approval for transfer being Admiralty ref: A.S./M.S.776 and A.S.621/58, 24 November 1958

Physical Description

A recoil operated light machine gun using an unusual hinged linkage that dropped down beneath the gun on firing, giving rise to its nickname 'The potato digger.'It is belt-fed from the left, using a standard form of webbing belt holding 250 rounds. The gun has a single pistol grip and open trigger mechanism and an adjustable rearsight and fixed blade foresight. The tripodhas two shorter front legs and a single longer rear leg onto which a small leather saddle it fitted. A handle for locking the traversing mechanism is at the rear of the mounting plate. The gun sits high in the mounting cradle to allow the linkage arm free movement during firing.

Dimensions

OverallLength1016mm
BarrelLength610mm

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

.30 in

Inscriptions and Marks

Colt FIREARMS MFG HARTFORD CT

Associations

Places America