Object Title

12 pr gun

12 pr gun

Date

1795

Object Number

XIX.175

Provenance

Transferred from Depot Regiment, Royal Engineers, Chatham to the Tower in 1967, together with its companion No.XIX.260.

Physical Description

The first reinforce is engraved with the cypher of George III and the chase with that of the Marquess Cornwallis, Master General of the Ordnance, 1795-1801. The first reinforce ring bears the name of the founders and the date 1o & Hy KING 1795, in slight relief and the second reinforce ring the number LXXIII which is also incised on the underside as C3 over 73.
The trunnions are slightly shouldered and the right is stamped No.85. The gun has plain dolphins, the upper surfaces facetted. There is a tall dispart patch at the muzzle, the cascable being drilled for a centre rear sight. The cascabel is incised with the weight 18-0-9 and there are loops below the button for bolting the head of the elevating screw. There are quarter-sight scales on either side of the base-ring The vent is raised in a patch but this has not been drilled for a lock

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length: 79 in (200.7 cm), Overall length: 86 in (218.4 cm) Weight: 18 cwt 9 lb (918.5 kg)

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number 85 (?)

Calibre

4.7 in _ (12 cm)

Inscriptions and Marks

Right trunnion: 85

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, no.64, p.79.

Notes

This gun, together with its companion No.260 is in excellent condition and preserves its original surface having never suffered from being constantly polished. It was proved 25 May 1795 (Woolwich Proof Reg, Dec 1794-Dec 1795). (ref location - this object installed in Hall of Steel ca 1996 but location record changed 23/02/2001)