Object Title

Flanchard

Flanchard

Date

1515

Object Number

VI.16

Provenance

Probably transferred from the Palace at Greenwich about 1649.

Physical Description

Part of horse bard VI 14-16, it comprises a single plate, protecting the right flank of a horse. It is broadly rectangular; the upper edge dips at the centre and is curved at the corners. The upper right edge has a replacement buckle for attachment to the peytral, while there are three river-holes on the corresponding upper left (one filled by a rivet) for attachment to the crupper. To the right of the buckle is a cut-out of indeterminate function. A large hole at the centre of the upper edge may have been for a strap to attach the flanchard to its pair across the horse's back.Decoration. The flanchard is decorated with three sprays of flutes that contain engraved ornament on a hatched ground. This includes scrolling foliage (rinceaux), stylised candelabrum motifs and stylised grotesque figures. The largest flutes at the centre of the flanchard has an eagle (?) within a slylised heart over a grotesque winged figure. The main edges are borders by scrolling foliage and stylised flowers.

Dimensions

Dimensions: Height: 330 mm (13.0 in); length: 605 mm (23.9 in); As mounted: height: 2080 mm (82.1 in); width: 870 mm (34.3 in); length: 2350 mm (92.8 in)

Inscriptions and Marks

WD and broad arrow

Bibliographic References

G Rimer, T Richardson and J P D Cooper, Henry VIII: arms and the man, Leeds, 2009,

Notes

Created after object was packed and found not to be on Star, part of Armours labelled VI.14-16. RC2: Permission to lend required from the sovereign.