Object Title

Shaffron

Shaffron

Date

about 1600

Object Number

XXVIA.102 F

Provenance

Acquired in India by Lady Clive, wife of Edward, 2nd Lord Clive (Governor of Madras), between 1798 and 1800, and brought back to England in 1801; displayed in the 'Elephant Room' at Powis Castle. Placed on loan to the Tower Armouries in 1949 for conservation. Presented to the Armouries in lieu of death duty by the Earl of Powis, 1962.

Physical Description

The shaffron is of mail and plate construction, and lined with modern black fabric. It is composed of some 2,195 plates, arranged in vertical columns, with cusped overlapping edges, and joined by riveted mail. It extends midway down the trunk, and has flaps for the ears. There are two small holes for the eyes, and two larger holes for the processes on top of the skull, all of which are bordered by radiating plates. At the base of the trunk and at either ear is a circular plate similarly bordered by radiating plates. At the centre of the trunk is a heart-shaped iron plate with a brass border, with a central boss containing a threaded hole, probably for a hair tassel.

Materials

Dimensions

ShaffronLength2430mm
ShaffronWeight27kg
ShaffronWidth1900mm

Inscriptions and Marks

None.

Notes

Suffixed for transportation and storage purposes on 17/06/2013.