Object Title

Left central body panel

Left central body panel

Date

about 1600

Object Number

XXVIA.102 C

Provenance

Acquired in India by Lady Clive, wife of Edward, 2nd Lord Clive (Governor of Madras), between 1798 and 1800, and brought back to England in 1801; displayed in the 'Elephant Room' at Powis Castle. Placed on loan to the Tower Armouries in 1949 for conservation. Presented to the Armouries in lieu of death duty by the Earl of Powis, 1962.

Physical Description

The left central armour panel is of mail and plate construction and lined with modern black fabric. The panel is composed of columns of smaller plates interspersed with large embossed iron plates with brass borders. The panel has twelve of these larger embossed plates which depict seven elephants, one lotus, one peacock and three pairs of fish. In total this panel contains some 780 plates.

The body panels are attached by a series of leather straps passing over the elephant's back.

Materials

Dimensions

Left central panelLength1700 mm
Left central panelWeight19 kg
Left central panelWidth1060 mm

Inscriptions and Marks

None.

Notes

Suffixed for transportation and storage purposes on 17/06/2013.