Object Title

Gun

Gun

Date

1501-1530

Object Number

XIX.2

Provenance

One of the iron guns salvaged from the wreck of the Mary Rose in 1836 and 1840. Given by the divers Charles and John Deane to the South Eastern Railway Company, who presented it together with a separate chamber (No. XIX.5.) to the Armouries in 1851 (W.O. 44/305). cf. Nos. XIX.163 and 167.

Physical Description

Of built-up construction, being formed of flat iron bars with iron hoops passed over them and shrunk on. One of the thicker hoops is forged with two eyes for the rings used for lifting the gun. The gun is very corroded and has a length, probably of two or three feet missing at the muzzle. A stone shot remains in the bore at the breech end

Dimensions

Dimensions: Length approx: 74 in (187 cm) Diameter 26 in (66 cm) calibre 6 in

Firearms/Artillery

Serial Number nvn

Calibre

5.50 in (139 cm)

Associations

Places England

Bibliographic References

H.L.Blackmore, The Armouries of the Tower of London, Ordnance Catalogue, H.M.S.O. London 1976, no.18 p.56.

Notes

Returned from Loan January 1997