Object Title

Horse armour

Horse armour

Date

1480

Object Number

VI.379 A-E

Provenance

Purchased with the aid of the National Art Collection Fund and the Pilgrim Trust from Galerie Fischer, 19 June 1958, lot 114. From the Anhalt family; purchased by Hans Schedelmann; sold at Galerie Fischer, 1938, to William Randolph Hearst

Physical Description

Of gothic form. Consists of A chanfron / shaffron, B crinet, C peytral and D crupper, crupper plates and steel curb reins [no star records for the last two].

Dimensions

Part BDepth315mm
Part BLength800mm
Part BWidth310mm
Part ADepth370mm
Part ALength710mm
Part AWidth270mm

Inscriptions and Marks

None.

Associations

Places Germany

Bibliographic References

A.R. Dufty and W. Reid, European Armour in the Tower of London, 1968, plate II with II.3, III details.

C. Paggiarino, The Royal Armouries, masterpieces of medieval and renaissance arms and armour, Milan, 2011, volume 1

Notes

Formerly in the possession of the Duke of Anhalt-Dessau, the original owner having been Waldemar VI, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst 1450-1508.